Monday, February 15, 2010

Salvation Saturday

No- this post is not related to Jarrod... they are all about the Salvation Army spree me, Michelle, and Kara went on this past Saturday. We hit up three Salvation Army stores, one Goodwill, and the DI (Deseret Industries). I walked away with these cheap and awesome purchases-
This lovely chair- $4 at Salvation Army

This grease-spackled spice rack-$1 at Salvation Army

This kidsy lamp-$3 at Goodwill (don't be jealous of our Chuckit)

The chair was very scary. Even though I bought it Salvation Army, it had two old stickers from DI on it- so I think someone tried to redo it once but lost the nerve. The person that put it in this lovely form needed to learn a few redo tips- such as: sand off old paint before repainting, don't use hot glue to reupholster! Here is Sergeant Sausage, my crafting partner, checking my progress from inside the house, always the helper!

To redo- I did this:
1. Cleaned the entire chair with Comet.
2. Used a fine sandpaper block to sand off the many scary layers of paint and varnish
3. rewiped off all of the surfaces
4. Primed the entire chair with Rustoleum spray primer (from Home Depot)
5. Spray painted the entire chair with flat black spray paint
6. Reupholstered the seat cushion with black and white damask fabric
7. Added black cord to the entire edges of the cushion
8. Redrilled the cushion into place
And finally- stepped back to admire what a bad-A I am!
I know what you are thinking- is that trim I see on that cushion... it's true!
I also scrubbed the spice rack with Comet to remove at least 20 years of cooking grease off of it, primed with spray paint primer, and then spray painted.
Now it is a cute little thread holder with two drawers for my bobbins (one new unused ones and one with thread on them!)
For the lamp redo, I decided I wanted it to match my chair with both fabric and colors. I liked how the original shade had two colors and ric-rac so I decided to copy that look with a more grown up approach.
I primed and spray painted black.
For the shade I did the same process as with my sister's lamp- but did a black strip of home upholstery on the top and the damask upholstery on the bottom. I spray adhesived them on one at a time, folded for the back crease, and hot glued the tops and bottoms the best I could. I then hot glued ric-rac around where the two fabrics meet.
Total Chair Cost: ($4 chair, $3 fabric, $2 trim, about $2 worth of primer and paint) Total $11
Total Thread Rack Cost: ($1 spice rack, about $.50 primer and paint) Total $1.50
Total Lamp Cost: ($3 lamp, about $2 worth of fabric, $1 ric-rac, and $.50 primer and paint) Total $6.50
Overall- some rocking good deals and LOTS of fun hunting for them and redoing them!
Don't worry--- I still have lots more projects remaining to show off!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! LOVE the chair and the lamp! Great idea with the spice rack ;)