Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lovely Lamp

The lamp is done! This is the lamp I bought my cute little sister on Saturday at the Salvation Army.




It was 55% off day so it ended up being just a little more than $6. My sister is getting ready to move out from my parents house (FINALLY--jk Em). She was looking for a lamp that went with her ultra modern black and white and scarlet motif in her soon to be living area. I told her I could make a lamp for her for supercheap...versus the $45 ones she wanted to buy.

I got out my best friend, Mr. spray paint and gave the base two good coats of flat black paint.

We went to Joanns and she picked out the fabric she wanted. I bought 1 1/2 yards because it is a HUGE lampshade. I used a 50% off coupon so it ended up being $7.50. I ended up using exactly half.

I started by pulling the large trim off of the top and bottom of the lamp because I didn't want it to be bulky once it was recovered.




I then measured my fabric so I could cut off the excess to save for something else. I cut right down the middle and made sure there was more than enough to leave some space to fold over each side of the lamp... look closely and you will see my crafting partner Sergeant Sausage checking my progress.



I then took the lamp, fabric, and spray adhesive into the garage so I could not kill our dogs with aerosol fumes.



Then, lay the lampshade so that the back seam starts where the end of the fabric is. I sprayed about 10 inches of fabric at a time. Because it was so large of a space, I also sprayed the shade too... for more a more permanent hold. This was the trickiest part. I had to go in small sections so that I could stretch the fabric and make sure I was lining up the pattern as close as I could.




Lastly (notice no picture... I got on an excited roll again) I hot glued the fabric to the top and bottom of the shade. I stretched and glued and tried to keep the fabric the same all the way around so if you see it from the inside it doesn't look messy.


And here's the final product:

I set it on our end table to get a feel for it. I felt I would like to keep it for myself. The thought then doubled when Mr. P said he liked it and wanted to keep it too. I called Emilee to come pick it up ASAP so we didn't steal it (we have a habit of doing this). So- I am now on the lookout for cute lamp #2 to redo for us.
Total Cost:
Lamp-$6
1/2 of fabric- $3.75
Spray adhesive- owned
Flat black spray paint- $1
About $11! Cute!

1 comment: